Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Stumped

These past few weeks since I have gotten a job I have been working really hard trying to make sure I have everything in order when school starts- writing disclosure statements, deciding exactly how I want to run my classroom,creating all kinds of forms and policies and procedures... and of course lesson planning. I have discovered that even though planning is one of my strengths, at the same time it is one of my weaknesses. I am (at times) too much of a perfectionist and even a little OCD (yes, I am admitting to it!). Most first year teachers have 1-2 maybe 3 different 'preps' as we call them- different courses to plan for. I however, have 4.... ya, that is right 4! Luckily they are really similar in content so they aren't completely different and I can piggy back some of my lessons. I am excited because between Geography, foreign language exploration, and my exploratory course I get to teach a lot about culture! I love culture. I think it is what makes us who we are.

So here is where I am stumped... for my exploratory course I was told I could "teach anything I want" that might introduce students to geography (it is an 8th grade course). It took a lot of narrowing down because my mind was just racing at the thought of teaching whatever I want- yes, I avoided the temptation to just teach about Italy (which would be a blast! But I'm sure 8th graders aren't going to be as interested as I) so I thought it would be fun to teach about different cultures around the world because when teaching geography there is so little time to focus on cultures. I am having a hard time narrowing it down to what cultures I want to focus on... I was thinking about dividing the course by regions- No America, So America, W Europe, E Europe, SE Asia, E Asia, Oceania, and Pacific Islands....

If any of you know about or have lived in any country (particularly ones that teachers often skip over- because those are the ones I would like to teach about) and can give me a little tid bit into their culture- I would love it!

2 comments:

Karen said...

I wish I could help you! I'm just as stumped as you are! I've only been out of the country once, and that was to Cancun. It was only for a week, but it was fun! I know you will figure it out. =) Oh by the way.... give in.... read the twilight series! You can do it!!! LOL Anyways at least read the first just in case you do end up seeing the movie. You still have until December to decide what you want to do! You will make every woman proud! LOL =)

Neil said...

Let me know if you would be interested in doing anything on Iran. My girlfriend is Persian and has tons of good books and material, she could definitely give you plenty to work with.

A thing on Israel/Palestine could be very cool too, there are lots of great short documentaries out there taken from kids perspectives on the conflict that could make for an amazing geography/culture lesson. Just some thoughts!