Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I don't wanna grow up! Well, not today at least.

Do you ever wish you could just be a kid again? No worries in life other than 'who am I going to play with today?' or 'Do I really have to clean my room?' Well, today is one of those days for me. I have decided that growing up is just a pain in the ass some days. I'm excited to have graduated and finally having a teaching job is just over the top... but then comes money- bills, rent, car payment, insurance and just hoping to have enough left over to eat. I have a feeling I may be going back to living on top ramen for awhile. It is just frustrating not knowing exactly how much I will be bringing in a month- let alone not getting my first pay check until the end of September. I have been working my ass off the last month to try and save money so I can make it through... but who knows if what I have saved will last... and to top it off... I need to find a new apartment. I need a little space just for me and I know my roommate is feeling the same way- we are both 'space whores' (he is moreso than I) as he would say. It has been a fun year and I am so grateful that he was willing to help me out so I could stay in SLC while I finished school. But it is time to give him his house back and claim some space of my own. Luckily he is a great friend and understand my situation too.. so it's not like I have to move out tomorrow but when I can- and to tell you the truth, I'm really getting kinda anxious to move on.

Don't ask me how this is going to work because I still haven't quite figured that one out yet. I'm thinking I may try to strike up a deal to stay in the same building (I have a neighbor that is moving out- though everything-I mean everything- would have to be replaced first because his place smells of curry and cigarette smoke and I don't think I could handle that!)-- but at the same time, I am starting to think it would be nice to move somewhere new... I have toyed with the idea of buying a condo or townhome (haha like I can afford that)- but I'm sure I will probably stick with renting... but where (we all know that housing prices are ridiculous in this city)? should I move closer to work? and if I do, how will I find such fun and single people- my friends and neighbors have become like family to me and it is nice being around a bunch of people who are in the same boat as I am- yay for being single! (plus there is nothing worse than being known as 'the single person' in a neighborhood full of families- not to mention how lonely that could be), and most importantly- could I ever find a place so affordable with such great neighbors (that isn't in the creepy part of town)?

I'm just one of those crazy people who freaks out about the unknown... even though deep down I know for a fact it will all work out... somehow. Anyway, sorry for the rant. Just had to get it off my chest.

4 comments:

Meghan said...

I am definitely up for getting together; it has been way too long!

Good luck on apartment finding. We'll have to chat and catch up. I still need to tell you about Italy!

Karen said...

I have those days too of wishing I could go back and be a kid again and have no worries. What you're going through is hard, and it's ok to rant about it and get it out of your system. =) Things will work out to the best, just do all you can do. It will be nice to have your own space eventually. I would say move closer to work so you don't have to pay as much in gas! Good luck!!!! =)

Marc and Shay said...

Hello Erica! I am glad that you found me, things are going great here. Exciting to hear about your new job, good luck with the house hunting! I agree with living closer to work...especially with gas prices! Have a fun rest of your summer...Shaylyn

Marly said...

So, i think now that you're a teacher they have discounts for rentals. Just a thought :). I know there are a lot of single people who live in my apartments. They are always having parties! Good luck with whatever you do. We'll be moving out to West Valley next year, so I know how you feel about having to start over.