Saturday, July 5, 2008

Camping, playing mechanic, and a 4th of July BBQ for 1

This week my parents went camping with some friends at a place called Rock Creek which is just outside of Duchesne. I had a few days free so I decided to join them for a night and get out of the city for a bit. It was so beautiful and green up there in the mountains. I wish I could have stayed a few more days! Most of the time I was up there we spent seeing some of the spectacular sites to be seen in the area. The Stillwater Dam is just up the road from the campground- it was so full water was spilling over the edge- it was quite the site to see! There were also a few trails within the campground that were well worth checking out. I loved taking pictures of all the wildflowers and trees.
On Wednesday before I headed back to Salt Lake, we took a drive up the "switchbacks" I'm not sure if that is what it is really called or that is just the nickname of the road that takes you all the way to the top of the mountain, needless to say, the name fits- It was a beautiful drive. There were even some areas that still had snow! It would have been a great picture to see me trying to climb a little hill through the snow and mud wearing flip flops as I tried to get a shot of one of the many small waterfalls that we saw along the way.

My car has been acting up a lot lately so we (a.k.a.- my dad) has spent a lot of time trying to figure out what the deal is and getting it to a point where I at least don't wonder when it is going to break down next. So, last week before camping, we got the car tuned up and found out that we also needed to replace the mapping sensor (whatever that does), which we had just replaced maybe 3 weeks ago... again. Since we had done it so recently, we were able to switch it out for free... Tuesday before heading out, we stopped at the Saturn dealership in SLC to switch out the part, but they had sent it up to Riverdale... so, we went camping and Dad showed me how to switch it out. So, I got to play mechanic and switch out the part- I must have done something right considering the car is still running!

Friday, for the 4th, I decided to have a BBQ for 1 since most everyone I know was out of town and I had to work all weekend (don't take this as complaining- cuz I'm not doing that at all, I quite enjoyed getting paid time and a half plus differential!). I decided to grill me a burger and even made macaroni salad too! It was nice to relax and enjoy the evening- I was even able to see some of the fireworks across the valley from my porch before heading back to work!

I have been trying to upload some of the photos from the camping trip but for some reason it won't work- maybe because I'm trying to do it at work, who knows.... I will be sure and post them as soon as I can get them up!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Wow sounds like you had a fun time camping! Good job playing the mechanic, I would have taken the time and a half too in a heart beat! Glad you were able to relax a bit and see the fireworks. I was having trouble posting my last post too. I still don't know what the deal is with it. I wish you better luck with yours. =)