Sunday, May 4, 2008

Graduation!!

Yay! I finally graduated... 10 years in the making and my dream has come true! It is still so surreal- I'm not sure whether to believe it or not. But, all in all after years of hard work, stress, working WAY too many hours, taking WAY too many classes at once, it has all paid off. Graduation ceremonies took place Friday May 2, 2008. The commencement ceremony was at 9am at the Huntsman Center. I met up with a few friends from the cohort. It was long and hot but the speaker, Mario Capecchi (he won the Nobel Prize this year for his research and discoveries in genetics, was pretty fun to listen to. I am always amazed by the people who were at one time told they would amount to nothing and they go on and do great things!
It has been amazing year. And I am almost sad to see it end. Ok, not really. I have met some amazing people and have learned more than I could have ever imagined. I am excited that I have chosen a career path that will not only allow me to continue learning and growing, encourages me to!

Stephen, Me and Elise- a few of my teaching buddies- waiting to walk into the Huntsman Center.
Here we are again- sporting the oh so stylish graduation getup
Mario Capecchi speaking. He was a lot of fun to listen to. He has an amazing story!

After commencement, I attended the convocation ceremony for the College of Humanities- even though that is not the college I graduated from. A large group of my friends from the teaching program were graduating in humanities and it sure beat having to wait until 7pm to walk.
The Dean of the College of Humanities speaking. I loved the Renaissance style they had going on- pauper hat and all! I want to become a professor so I can have the same outfit!
Meghan and I entertaining ourselves during all the speeches. Aren't we cute?!?!
A few more of my teaching buddies! Elise, Meghan, Me and Shemaris
Meghan and I on the floor waiting for our names to be called. Yay! It's official!

I am so happy that my family was able to come and be a part of my big day! Especially my Grampa B and Marcella! They came all the way from Arizona and it was great to see them!

Marcella, Me and Grampa B
Another picture with me and my Grampa B
Me and my parental figures. Thanks Mom and Dad for all your love and support! I never could have done it without you!!!
Tyler, Kaden (Bugaboo), Me and Darci after graduation. Thanks for coming and supporting me! I am lucky to have such an amazing family! And how can you not love my adorable nephew?!?!

After all the graduation ceremonies the fam and I went to El Matador's for lunch. It was way yummy and a lot of fun. Then we went our separate ways for the evening and I went home to take a nap before the evening festivities.

Friday night I went to my friend Maria's graduation party where I met up with Meghan as well. It was a blast. More Mexican food and lots of dancing! It was so much fun.
Me and the girls!

The festivities continued throughout the weekend. Saturday I went dancing with my friend Angie and her friends Tom and Marcello. We went to Tryangles where we ran into my neighbor Ben and a few of his friends. From Tryangles we went to The Trap Door. Where we continued to dance the night away. It was a blast! I am so glad I was finally able to hang out with some of my favorite neighbors! After dancing, we decided to go to Village Inn before heading home.

The festivities will continue again tonight, yay for excuses to celebrate!!! We are having a little party with everyone from the cohort so it should be fun! And then it is off to Green Street for some karaoke!



5 comments:

Norlund Clan said...

Congrats!! It sounds like you are having a lot of fun.

Steve said...

Good for you, favorite neice of ours! I bet your ma and pa are thrilled as well. just think, only 30 more years and you can retire!! (Uncle Steve)

Neil said...

Congratulations! Thats exciting that you are all done. Good luck with the ensuing job search! Glad to hear you are having fun.

Meghan said...

Yes, we are cute!

Collie Dawgs said...

Congrats Sorella Kent! Yep, guess who?? It's me--your long lost MTC companion Sorella Hardy! How are you? You seem and look great! That is so awesome about graduating and teaching--good for you! Well, Zac and I live back in Northern Cali now where we both grew up and we love it here. We left Utah last December and both took jobs out here! I'm still in pharmaceutical sales and he is a commercial real estate broker. We have a 2 year old--Shae--and we are expecting another little girl this week! I would love to keep in touch now that I have found you. Have you been back to Italy? Take care...love ya, emmalee