Saturday, December 6, 2008

Thank God for Friday!

I quickly learned that as a teacher the week after Thanksgiving break is a rough one. It was tough getting students back into school mode and now that I have gotten them there, I only hope it lasts for the next 2 weeks... Don't worry, I'm not going to hold my breath! I do have to say though, I have learned a few good lessons this week...
1) don't give a test the week after Thanksgiving... I'm only dreaming if I think the kids are going to remember and actually study.
2) Never underestimate a students ability to cheat- or at least their attempts to.
3) Boys have a lot of drama... which creates drama in my life when I have to deal with wrestlers picking on each other, getting bad grades and thinking they are God's gift to the world!
4) Communication is KEY!!! Especially when you are trying to run a wrestling program at the JR. high level and 50 teenage boys!
5) I REALLY need to learn how to say "no, I already have too much going on already".... this would be evidenced by the fact that I am, at 3:20 am, writing this blog entry while I am working at the hospital when I should be home hibernating under the covers of my oh so comfy bed!

Needless to say, it has been a VERY VERY long week from HELL and I just have to say, thank God for weekends!

Tonight was our faculty Christmas party. It was held at Mi Ranchito in Salt Lake. I was a little weary about going because I was all by my lonesome... but luckily, so were lots of others! It was a lot of fun. We talked and laughed a lot, had a small gift exchange and I was forced to embarrass myself infront of all my fellow teachers... they have a tradition where they make all the new teachers stand infront of everyone wearing a headband of raindeer antlers and a big red nose (that even blinks) and sing Rudolf the Red Nosed Raindeer.... not the highlight of my day that is for sure! The highlight was probably the gift exchange... we played the game where your # gets drawn and you can pick a present or steal one that someone else has picked. There were about 3 that kept getting passed around. It was pretty fun stealing gifts away from Terri (the principal) she tried to joke with me that I was a provisional teacher (meaning I'm still on probation) but my response was.... but I'm the wrestling coach! She thought it was funny... and so did everyone else! I'm just scared to see what pictures and videos are played on the school announcements on Monday morning! I'm thinking I may accidently unplug the tv so the kids can't watch them... oh darn! :)

I hope everyone has a great weekend!!!! I love you all!

No comments: