Thursday, March 26, 2009

Inked!

One thing that I have always wanted to do was get a tattoo.. I remember back in high school thinking of all the different tattoos I could get and have always admired the artistry and personal meaning that many tattoos have. I always knew I would get one... I even remember having conversations with my Grampa about them. He always told me not to get them saying I would regret my decision. But my thought has always been- if I have wanted one for over 10 years, and still want one, I should just do it. I took my time getting it mostly because I knew it had to be something VERY personal that I would mean something to me for the rest of my life. I had no desire for a random design picked out of a book. I wanted something personal- something that was mine and only mine! I started thinking seriously about getting one about 2 years ago. Had a basic idea of what I wanted 1 year ago and after a year of adjusting and redesigning, looking for a good tattoo shop and artist, I finally did it!!! Today I went in with the intention of putting down a deposit and making an appointment. But after I got there and spoke with a few people, I knew I had to just do it. The suspense of waiting would KILL me! So, I showed the artist my idea and he took it back and drew up a sketch and we got started. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting- don't get me wrong, it hurt- at times it felt like someone was just taking a razor blade to my foot... but I was so focused on not moving that it didn't bother me much. It was kinda fun to tell the truth. It was really cool watching him work his magic on my foot!
The sketch of what I wanted. I went in with the quote and the font I wanted and told him I wanted a few "frilly thingies" (I don't know what they are called- but he knew what I was talking about!)
Here he is hard at work!
And finally.....
The finished product
The quote says: Non molare mai, credi in cio che fai. It is a quote I found written on the side of a bus stop when I was living in Torino. It means to never complain (or give up) and believe in what you do.

7 comments:

The Bender Family said...

You are so brave! I think I'd be a total WUSS! It looks great!

kacie said...

I like it. Mine hurt so bad on my foot I will probably never do it again!! Congrats on being brave.

E-ca said...

I was expecting it to hurt so much more than it did. I think I was concentrating so much on not moving that I didn't notice how bad it really did hurt... I'm excited for the next one-- already have it planned out!

Darci said...

i think the frilly stuff is something like filigree...anyway i am thinking of adding some to mine since it's kind of plain....glad you're happy with it!

Bel said...

Wow that is a cool saying and cool desing. I really like the swirl thingys they are pretty neat. Glad you liked the result and that the pain was not too bad.

Kaija said...

looks pretty cool! i think it is interesting that you had it face the way you do, to the people talking to you get the message, rather than reminding you of the message, unless your feet are crossed -- pretty cool -- Italy forever!!!

E-ca said...

I thought about having it face the other way but it just looked funny. And I think it is a good reminder for everyone!